RE: [802.3ae] a bit concerned...

Brad,

Your concern is legitimate.  Interoperability between transceiver vendors
has always been a rare occurrence (at least in the datacom space).
Difficult to explain it, but one factor is that transceivers are 1 or 2
levels away from the end user....not quite the incentive that OEM vendors
would have.  In an ideal world, interoperability between transceiver vendors
should occur well ahead of interoperability between OEMs.  But it never
happens that way.

In light of this reluctant culture, may I suggest the OEM vendors
individually sponsor interop testing for transceiver vendors.  The only
"open" interop testing I've seen are ones between OEM vendors.  Adding
various transceiver vendors to the mix adds complexities and are therefore
not encouraged.

PS: There are demonstrated products in SW serial PMD's.

Chris Simoneaux