From: Vipul Bhatt [mailto:vbhatt@finisar.com]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 4:55 PM
To: Bob Grow; stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject: [802.3ae] Proving PMD feasibility

Bob,

Recently, I saw your concern echoed by others as well. Clearly, the
PMD community needs to sit up and address it. Yes, the 10G PMD
feasibility can be demonstrated, although I am afraid it's a little
late to organize this effort in a week. Yes, there is enough time to
do it by September.

It's important that we begin by defining expectations. What does a
"feasibility demonstration" mean to you at this stage?

At this stage, a schedule-friendly answer would be  "showing test
results of a 10.3G link operating over the required distance,
showing a reasonable agreement between the link model and
measurements, and showing analysis to suggest that high yield and
low cost are likely to be achieved".

A schedule-unfriendly answer would be "showing full compliance and
interoperability".

Regards,
Vipul

Vipul Bhatt