Re: [802.3ae] D3.1 Clause 45 and Clause 48 potential inconsistencies

Boaz,

48.2.5.4.1, Link status detection, is general about local_fault
conditions. It ends with: "A local_fault condition may also be
recognized by any 10GBASE-X process upon detection of an error condition
which prevents continued reliable operation, but that is beyond the
scope of
this standard." This definition is applicable to the 10GBASE-X PCS as
well as both the DTE and PHY XGXS.

It follows that the condition for setting management register bit 5.8.10
includes "any error condition which prevents continued reliable
operation" where that error condition is detected or recognized by the
DTE XGXS only. Included in the preceding set of error conditions is the
specific error condition that you note: "Has not synchronized and
aligned all four receive lanes".

I believe that we're on track (1.b) per your note and that the wording
in 48.2.5.4.1 is complete.

definition of such conditions are beyond the scope of the standard. To
give you an idea of the possible conditions, one is that a PMA reference
clock input may be non-operational, assuming one is required.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Boaz Shahar wrote:

> Ben,
> I understand your position about commenting. However, before commenting, I
> think I should try to understand the intention there. I'll try to put my
> question in a more direct way here, and may will submit another discussion
> about the DTE-XS vs. the PHY-XS status definition bits later. So here are
> the questions regarding the DTE-XS initially:
>
> Questions
> (1) What is the condition for setting bit 5.8.10 ? (p.234) Or: What is the
> definition of the event: "The DTE has detected a LF condition on the Receive
> path"? Is this the same as: "Has not synchronized and aligned all four
> receive lanes"?
> AND:
> (1.a) If the answer to (1) is "Yes", Do we need the duplication of the same
> function on 3 bits: 5.1.2, 5.8.10, and 5.24.12?
> (1.b) If the answer to (1) is "No", then what is the exact definition and
> how the sentence "A local Fault condition is recognized by the PCS Rx
> process whenever align_status=fail" (Clause 48 P. 307) can be explained?
>
> (2) What is the condition for setting 5.8.11 (P.233): Is that user defined?
> If not what is the definition of the event: "..the DTE-XS Has detected an LF
> condition on the Tx path"
>
> Thx. for your help,
> Boaz

Richard Taborek Sr.                     Intel Corporation
XAUI Sherpa                    Intel Communications Group
3101 Jay Street, Suite 110         Optical Products Group
Santa Clara, CA 95054           Santa Clara Design Center
408-496-3423                                     JAY1-101
Cell: 408-832-3957          mailto:rich.taborek@intel.com
Fax: 408-486-9783                    http://www.intel.com