RE: AW: [802.3ae] XAUI Rj TR comment

Brian - let me attempt some responses.

Portions of the MJS document our already out of date. Figure C.2 is one
such item. After publication of the report, much of the scope of your
questions was discussed (and agreed upon) via 99-618v0. Therein, you
will see that tolerance testing really wants to test over the combined
ranges of edge rates, jitter, and amplitude that would be allowed by the
specs. C.2 inappropriately restores edge rates with the limiting amp,
and so does not stress sensitivity to slow edges as may be seen in
copper systems. It also restores amplitude, same comment.

If the limiting amp is removed, then a different method is required to
introduce RJ. Simply adding it in with a hybrid coupler retains slow
edges and degraded amplitude, but adds amplitude noise, not just jitter
(possibly not a bad thing for harsher testing, but not considered in the
specs). Also this method would lead to some pattern dependent RJ which
is not realistic. Hence, the thought about adding RJ into the pattern
generator input

The RJ spectrum must go well beyond any tracking bandwidth of the
receiver being tested. C.2 was trying to say that the upper frequency
end must be at least 500 MHz (this was for 1.0625 Gbd testing, so scale
as appropriate), but per the 1st sentence of this paragraph, I don't
believe this is truly necessary as long as consideration is given for
what spectrum may actually be seen. The lower end is not critical,
although RJ calibration must be done with the effects of a golden PLL in
place. (I may a little off on this without looking at the document; also
revision 3.2 may be worded a little differently...).

As far as adding RJ at the CLK input:
  use a high power random noise source with an RF attenuator to control
RJ magnitude.
  be sure the random noise source does not clip the tails before 1e-12 -
this is a tough one.
  bandlimiting of the source is required to prevent double clocking.
  a controlled edge rate is required for the clock signal to for AM/PM
conversion (sine is good).
  the amplitude of the clock signal must drive the generator well into
limiting before the shift register section.
  a 2x1 hybrid coupler works, but be sure it has the appropriate
frequency response.
  be sure the CLK input has sufficiently wide BW for the RJ to pass
through.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks, Tom Lindsay
Stratos