[802.3ae] RE: Clause 45: MDIO Electrical Specifications

 Edward Turner:

I have a few questions concerning the MDIO Electrical Specifications.

The table 45.5.5.14 in the PICS proforma section isn't all that explicit
on measurement conditions. As long as the measurements are taken by
humans we can quite easily understand the underlying meaning of the
specifications and overlook inconsistent current direction
specifications and trouble with inequalities and mins and maxes for
negative numbers etc., but there are a few aspects beyond that which are
trickier.

Spec points:

EC8 IOL
The best guess for a voltage to use for this measurement would be the
highest allowed VOL voltage 0.3V (EC2)

EC7 IOH
For push pull drivers, the corresponding choice for an IOH measurement
voltage would be the lowest allowed VOH voltage 1.0V (EC1)

For the option with open drain drivers and a resistive pull-up however
the same test condition would dictate a resistance that would overload a
driver trying to pull it low.

EC6 Bus Loading
interoperability but for ensuring a performance level of a collection of
units with MDIO interfaces joined with some network. Therefore I assume
it is not mandatory or even applicable to components.

EC5 Input capacitance for MDIO
The 10pF limit can be difficult to support both for MDC and for the MDIO
wire of MDIO in particular, given the wide variety the wide variety of
mechanical design and subassemblies possible, sometimes with several
devices connected to MDIO.

 I would appreciate some comments and guidance on how to interpret the
specifications.

Best regards Tord Haulin