RE: [802.3ae] XSBI Bit ordering

Satya:

The bit ordering at the PMA service interface (Clause 51) is the same for
LAN and WAN PHY cases. A bit relabelling is done *before* it hits the PMA
interface for the WAN PHY case, as you point out.

What may be a bit confusing is the way there are two relabelling in the
"stack" when you have a WAN PHY with a XSBI interface, but this is to ensure
consistency at the PMA service interface (i.e., identical bit ordering for
LAN and WAN PHY cases).

There was a significant and lengthy discussion on this matter on the
reflector (see: http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg04584.html";),
because of the importance of maintaining compatibility between Ethernet and
SONET at the 16 bit interface, and the current relabelling within Clause 51
is the result of this compromise solution.

Cheers,
Dave

------
David Kabal