RE: [802.3ae] Proposed modifications to CJPAT - round 3

Tom and Mike,

The idea of CJPAT was to have a pattern that could be sent and received by a
MAC. That is why the pattern is encapsulated in a packet. The only way to
control running disparity would be to have a test mode that is sourced by
the PHY which would be a rather significant feature change at this point.
Even then, it gets a bit tricky. If one has a transceiver where a full X-PCS
and XGXS is implemented, then that would be producing its own idle and would
need to source the pattern while if the transceiver had just a simple
retimer between the MDI and the XAUI, the pattern would need to be sent into
it.

Some alternatives without controlling starting disparity:

Build a new stress pattern using only disparity neutral codes - those codes
that are the same in both disparity columns. I'm not convinced one could
build as good a pattern this way. The high density part of the pattern uses
a disparity neutral code already but the low density doesn't and there may
not be a 3 transition disparity neutral code (and I don't have time to look
at the moment). The EB and F4 are also not neutral.

There are two repeats of the pattern in the CJPAT packet. If one made the
low density pattern repeat for an odd number of bytes per lane, one would
test both disparities on the lane during one packet. Changing the duration
of the low density pattern to 524 bytes would accomplish this. This still
would mean the crosstalk is somewhat unknown since the starting disparity of
each of the lanes is unknown. F4 and EB in the two disparities are not
inverses of each other but the bulk of the pattern (B5 and 7E) is either the
same or inverted for the two disparities so the frequency content and
therefore the crosstalk shouldn't be changed much based on the disparity.

Even if one doesn't change the pattern, the idle is randomized AKR which
will randomize the starting state of a lane at the start of the packet so
successive repeats of the CJPAT packet should test both polarities of the
pattern on each lane. (Since the same code is sent on each lane during idle
and the pattern, the CRC for the current packet is composed of 4
non-diaparity flipping codes and the start packet sequence is non-disparity
flipping, the lanes will keep a constant disparity with respect to each
other when CJPAT packets alternate with idles.)

Regards,
Pat