RE: [802.3ae] Proposed modifications to CJPAT - round 3

Tom and Boaz,

I didn't notice when I looked at the pattern that 7E/AB portion of the
pattern flipped the disparity. I agree with Tom that it is better to leave
it that way and test both disparities within each packet.

Given that each disparity is checked in each packet, I don't think we need
to worry about controlling the starting disparity since the crosstalk from
one disparity of that particular pattern should be negligibly different from
that of the other disparity. That just leaves Boaz's question.

The current pattern is pretty close to a max size packet. It is 1514 bytes
(if I've counted correctly). A significant contribution to the stress
produced is that there is a constant period of low density pattern which
lets the PLL settle in on it followed by a pattern with phase jumps. If one
rotates the pattern by something like a quarter of a lane per packet, then
one won't be able to fit 2 sets of 528 bytes of 7E on each lane (so each
disparity is tested for that stress).

Also, more than half the packet (1052 bytes) is spent in the low density
pattern which presumably with its energy shifted lower in frequency will
create less crosstalk than the phase jump part of the packet even when the
phase jumps pattern is the same on each lane.

While it has been asserted that in-phase data produces less channel
degredation than out of phase traffic, I haven't seen a quantification of
how much less. The current pattern produces a reasonably worst case pattern
stress, so if the crosstalk difference isn't too much, that should be an
adequate stress test.

If we feel that we do need to vary the data on the channels to increase
crosstalk, I can see a few alternatives.

1) Don't try to stress all 4 lanes maximally with the same packet. Create a
CJPAT1 and a CJPAT2. For CJPAT1, leave the data on lanes 0 and 2 the same as
in the current CJPAT and put some mixed frequency pattern on the other two
lanes.  For CJPAT2, lanes 1 and 3 get the current CJPAT pattern and the
others get mixed frequency.

2) Find an alternative pattern to EB F4 that is an equally bad but different
phase jump pattern and put it on two of the lanes so that they aren't
synchronized. One possiblity is to just switch the alternation so that two
of the lanes start with F4 instead of EB.

3) Stagger the lanes slightly so they EB F4 pattern isn't absolutely in sync
on each lane. For instance, instead of having the first low density pattern
start with 132 7Es on each lane, start with 132 on some of the lanes and 133
on others.

Regards,
Pat