Re: [802.3ae] Link Fault Signaling due to FIFO under/over run

Shawn,

Yours is a good question. The most applicable words I can find in the
document are in Clause 46, 46.3.3.2, Conditions for generation of
transmit Error control characters, which says: "If, during the process
of transmitting a frame, it is necessary to request that the PHY
deliberately corrupt the
contents of the frame in such a manner that a receiver will detect the
corruption with the highest degree of probability, then an Error control
character may be asserted on a transmit lane by the appropriate encoding
of the lane’s TXD and TXC signals."

This would seem to allow a PCS to do the same for a FIFO
underrun/overrun where sync and deskew is not affected. I would not
invoke link fault protocol. It should be noted that this condition
should not occur if all P802.3ae specs are followed and also that the
nature of this error is such that it may be fairly deterministic. In my
opinion no change to the draft is necessary.

Best Regards,
Rich