RE: [802.3ae] Link Fault Signaling due to FIFO under/over run

I think this meets the objective or being an editorial word-to-the-wise.

--Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Taborek [mailto:rtaborek@earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 10:22 AM
To: Geoff Thompson
Cc: Grow, Bob; HSSG (E-mail); Eric Lynsky
Subject: Re: [802.3ae] Link Fault Signaling due to FIFO under/over run

All,

Here's the editorial wording I'd like to propose to be added to Clause
48 to provide guidance for 10GBASE-X fault and error indication usage:

1) Add as item f) to 48.1.1 Objectives the following:
   f) Support error and link indication.
   (the period at the end of e) should be changed to a semicolon)

2) In 48.2.4.4 Error /E/, change the second sentence as follows:
   "/E/ may also be generated by the PCS client to indicate a
   transmission error to its peer entity or deliberately corrupt
   the contents of the frame in such a manner that a receiver
   will detect the corruption with the highest degree of
   probability".

How's that? Please note that Pat may need to add similar wording to
Clause 49.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Geoff Thompson wrote:

> All-
>
> My guess on this is, given the text that Rich has pointed out, that all
> that is necessary is a note that lcarifies things a  little and points to
> the text that Rich noted.
>
> Since it would only be a note and really only a heads up to something that
> already exists then it would be my opinion that it is editorial.
>
> Geoff
>
> At 02:31 PM 2/7/02 -0800, Grow, Bob wrote:
>
> >Rich:
> >
> >While a change to the draft may not be necessary, it may be advisable to
add
> >something to PCS that reminds people to do the things that assure
> >robustness.  Too often, something that is obvious to one person is obtuse
> >another.  I would encourage a recirculation ballot comment.  The worst
> >outcome would be implementions that add or drop data without inserting
/E/
> >because the implementer didn't make the same extrapolation you and I do
from
> >the clause 46 text.
> >
> >--Bob Grow

Do
> > > you have any comments on how the PCS should handle a FIFO under/over
run
> > > condition?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Shawn

Richard Taborek Sr.                     Intel Corporation
XAUI Sherpa                    Intel Communications Group
3101 Jay Street, Suite 110    Optical Strategic Marketing
Santa Clara, CA 95054           Santa Clara Design Center
408-496-3423                                     JAY1-101
Cell: 408-832-3957          mailto:rich.taborek@intel.com
Fax: 408-486-9783                    http://www.intel.com