64/66 system benifits and ad-hoc agenda

Richard

Thank you for getting this interesting ad-hoc started.

In my opinion 64/66 is by far the most promissing of all the
proposed line coding schemes discussed in the HSSG.

Perhaps the most important feature is the ability to use existing
OC-192 high-speed parts. This will save us all a lot of time in the
prototype phase. Also it will allow the LAN and the WAN PHY to
use the same hardward. ie. you can build the same module for
both. All you need is a selectable coding scheme in the CMOS
part (needed anyway for the HARI SerDes, assuming HARI goes
into the standard), and a selectable reference clock for the 10.3125
Gb/s SerDes.

As I recall, the presentation you gave with Rick Walker, the work is
almost done, so I don't imagine there will be much debate on the
ad-hoc reflector. How do you propose we proceed with getting a
proposal together to bring to the HSSG as soon as the standards
process is officially started?

Henning Lysdal
GiGA A/S

PLEASE NOTE: NEW PHONE AND FAX NUMBER FROM
FRIDAY OCTOBER 22nd.
  llllllll   ii     llllllll     llllll
ll                ll           ll      ll
ll    llll   ll   ll    llll   llllllllll
ll      ll   ll   ll      ll   ll      ll
  llllllll   ll     llllllll   ll      ll

GIGA A/S
Mileparken 22, DK-2740 Skovlunde, Denmark
Tel: +45 7010 1062, Fax: +45 7010 1063
Direct: +45 44546 154
e-mail: hl@xxxxxxx, http://www.giga.dk