re[2]: 64/66 system benifits and ad-hoc agenda

Kamran,

Part of the background and basis for Hari was that the 3.125Gb/s rate is about the maximum rate that you can run in a CMOS / PCB environment.  Also, there are a large number of CMOS design houses which started with fiberchannel / GE hard macros at the 1Gb/s rate,which have been scalled to 2 to 2.5Gb/s, which are being scalled to 3.125Gb/s.  The 8b10b code is comfortable and familiar to both the chip guys and the systems users.  The benefits of the 8b10b code are only available though at a 25% overhead.

The observation at the serial line rate for 10Gb/s is that the 25% cost of the 8b10b code pushes the optics and the electronics past 'reasonable' costs in the implementation.  If we were able to get the required functionality at a 3.125% overhead instead of a 25% overhead, optics could go farther, and electronics could be made cheaper and lower power.

Since no line code yet exists for 10GE serial, there is no incumbant yet either.

Could the 64b66b code be used though in Hari?  In the abstract, why not?  Then the Hari channels would run at <2.6Gb/s.  But Hari has a great deal of momentum, and is serving as a model for Fibrechannel and Infiniband.

If we focus 64b66b on the 10GE serial topic, we can work toward convergance.  If we expand the scope, we can be assured of entertaining email dialog and meetings.  But Hari may be too far along to re-visit the coding scheme.

What our challenge is, is to ellicit dialog on this reflector to wring out the 64b66b code to insure that it is robust within the proposed 10.3125Gb/s optical and copper environments.

Regards, Bill