Re: 64/66 system benifits and ad-hoc agenda

Hi Rick,

    I totally agree with you. I understand the motivation behind a
low-overhead
block code for serial links: increase operating distance on fibers, relax
specs on the
optics, low latency.

The Hari interface is a perfect match (probably was designed) for a WWDM
transceiver.
Unless the serial transceivers use simple 4:1 bit-wise muxing of the 4
lanes of Hari (which
would destroy the structure of the 8b/10b code and seems a wasteful method)
the use of
any other code requires many extra operations such as decoding/recoding
8b/10b,
deskewing bytes, encode/decode (with new code), rate conversion + FIFO,
etc.

But if the 8b/10b code is already set in Hari, then we'll have to live with
it I guess!

Thanks,

Kamran