Re: Loop Bandwidth for 64B66B

Hi Vipul,

    that is my feeling too. My main concern about the 64b66b proposal is the
need for
rate conversion. That puts burden on the 10Gb/s SERDES and PLL designs. I'm
less
concerned when a proposal requires change to some digital design. But with the
64b/66b it's not a matter of new digital circuit design, it really does require
special high-speed
analog circuit that is not available today (this may not be a big deal I am not
sure).
In any case I think there is simple ways to do packet delineation without
adding overhead
(as with the 2bit prefix of 64b66b). Both Nortel and Lucent have presented zero
overhead
schemes. These transmission schemes are being used today for Packet over SONET
(PPP/HDLC or SDL). Clock and Data recovery can be implemented using simple
4:1, 8:1 or 16:1 mux/demux, and there is no need for rate conversion after the
Hari
interface decoded [8b data + 1b control] (or am I misunderstanding?)

I think the main objection that Rick Walkers had was complexity of the
scrambling
polynomial and implementation of the Nortel proposal, but I believe that's a
detail that
could be changed. The current scrambling proposal by Rick is in my opinion
elegant
and simple. His scrambler proposal could be adopted for 10G Ethernet.

Is there really any "fundamental" reason why a zero overhead scheme (similar to
SONET but
without SONET framing) is not appropriate for 10GEthernet serial LAN and WAN
PHYs?

Best Regards,

Kamran Azadet