RE: Jonathan's Proposed HSSG Distance Motion

Del,

I think this email reflector will be a very workable mechanism for comments
and responses to proposals.

I support motion 1 (traditional Ethernet LAN space) as well as motion 2
(extended space).

On motion 3 (direct WAN attachment), I would like to wait and hear some
discussion first. There is much to consider:

- Cost-effectiveness: how do we build something that is compatible with
SONET but is significantly more cost-effective?
- Synchronous/asynchronous boundary delineation: Some products that have
put Ethernet over SONET (OC-12) have used PPP or HDLC as an intermediate
layer. At 16 times the speed, what mechanism should we use that is
achievable with today's ASIC technology?
- 1250 MBytes data rate objective: Incompatible with OC-192c direct
attachment, unless a throttling mechanism between MAC and PHY is put in
place, which in turns goes against the proposed objective of leaving MAC
unchanged.
- Coding: The chain of consequences of not staying with 8B10B.

Thanks,
Vipul

Vipul Bhatt
Finisar Corporation