Subject: Re: Discussion on the HSSG Distance reflector
Author:  BRIAN-LEMOFF-at-om (BRIAN_LEMOFF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) at
HP-PaloAlto,mimegw2
Date:    6/22/99 11:47 AM

     As I understood Jonathan's kick-off message, he was proposing that we
     have two separate objectives, the first being phrased in general terms
     such as the one he proposed, i.e. support for traditional LAN, support
     for traditional MAN, and support for WAN access.  The second, and more
     controversial objective will name the distance and fiber-type
     objectives.  This is probably the more important of the two, and it
     has not yet been discussed on this reflector!!

     We might already have a consensus on the first objective (although
     there is still debate over support for the WAN), but we are nowhere
     near consensus on the second objective.  I would support something
     like the following:

          To define physical solutions to support distances of:

          At least 300 m on multimode fiber, including the installed base

          At least 6 km on single mode fiber

          At least 50km on single mode fiber

      I am not wedded to these numbers, but I do think that some mention of
      support for the installed base should be included in this objective.

          -Brian Lemoff
           HP Labs