From: BRIAN_LEMOFF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:BRIAN_LEMOFF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 25, 1999 8:29 PM
To: Edward.Chang@xxxxxxxxxx; stds-802-3-hssg-distance@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Distance Objectives !!!!!

     Ed,

     The 1300nm WWDM solution that I described in Idaho will support a link
     distance of ~300m on installed, 500MHz-km, 62.5 micron fiber (further
     on 50 micron fiber).  The exact distance will depend upon whether the
     per channel baud rate is 2.5, 2.8, or 3.125 Gbaud, and on what ISI
     power penalty the committee votes to allow in the link budget.  If
     people are more comfortable with 200m or 250m as an objective, I have
     no problem with that, but I think 300m is a more important milestone
     that we should strive to reach, even if it challenges us a bit.

     -Brian Lemoff
      HP Labs

Author:  Non-HP-Edward.Chang (Edward.Chang@xxxxxxxxxx) at
HP-PaloAlto,mimegw2
Date:    6/25/99 1:58 PM

I assume all the distance numbers are based on 10Gbps data rate, but not 2.5
Gbps.

Ed Chang