Re: Distance Objectives !!!!!
- To: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Distance Objectives !!!!!
- From: Bruce_Tolley@xxxxxxxx
- Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:57:29 -0700
- cc: "Cornejo, Edward (Edward)" <ecornejo@xxxxxxxxxx>, HSSG Distance <stds-802-3-hssg-distance@xxxxxxxx>
- Sender: owner-stds-802-3-hssg-distance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Attachments yes, cut and paste EPS images, no. Your experiment did not work.
There are some good reasons for the 300 meter number to be included in the list
of distance goals to discuss.
1) From the research reported on during 802.3z, 300 meters covers a substantial
portion of the interbuilding and intrabuilding links over MM fiber.
2) 300 meters is the distance supported for 1000BASE-SX today over some of the
newer enhanced MM fibers.
3) My understanding is given 2), there is some movement to write 300 meters into
the building wiring specifications as a supported building backbone link length.