RE: 802.3ae and the 10GEA

Jay:

Based on your input, there are three candidates now: 1.3 um DFB at 10 km,
1.55 um DFB at 40 km, and 1.3 um DFB WWDM.  The 10 km and 40 km proposals
are basically for MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) applications.  The
premises application has only one proposal, 1.3 um WWDM.

Particularly for the short distance, premises or close interblending
applications, there is only one proposal.  As a result, there is no
competing alternative solutions to assure cost-effectiveness, which is one
of the key requirements in LAN market.

Without LAN market's help, MAN market can not grow rapidly.  They need each
other.

We should encourage 850 nm VCSEL technology to participate in the proposal
process to provide an alternative choice for the 10 GbE LAN applications.

Again, provide enough options for the market to decide who are the winners
in the long run, instead of artificially predetermining the future market
directions  --which is not "Market Driven".

Regards,

Edward S. Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
EChang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: (610)292-2870
Fax: (610)292-2872

Jaime,

I think you are missing the point. Certainly, we all must agree that the
P802.3ae will solely create the 10GBE standard. That having been said, we
are impelled, in the five criteria, to consider commercial as well as
technical considerations. That a proposal has technical merit is not a
sufficient criteria for its adoption into the standard, as its broad market
potential depends on its being adopted by users. If we lose track of this,
we are not so much writing a standard as judging a science fair.

 The customers for PMD's are the system integrators. It is they who are
promoting an Occam's Razor for PMD's. We have reached a point where we need
to be mindful of market realities, even if it means dropping cherished
proposals.

Jay