RE: 802.3ae and the 10GEA

Jay:

Everyone in the industry knows, a DFB laser costs 10 to 20 times more than a
VCSEL laser.  A DFB laser is a Mercedes-Benz for a few rich people, while a
VCSEL laser is a Honda Accord for majority of average people driving to
work.

Currently, VCSEL is the only "Work Force" keeping GbE market hamming;
however, VCSEL is not in 10 GbE proposal.  Only the expensive technology,
DBF, is among the 10 GbE proposals.

We need a expensive model, but we also need a economical model to open up
the market.

Regards,

Edward S. Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.
EChang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: (610)292-2870
Fax: (610)292-2872

Ed,

Competition between suppliers is sufficient, when coupled with the
economies of scale associated with the LAN space, to insure economic
viability. Moreover, a case can be made that, by having multiple competing
technologies within the same market space, neither achieves the maximum
economy of scale.

Jay

NB. I've returned this thread to the PAM reflector, only.