From: piers_dawe@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:piers_dawe@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 8:19 AM
To: stds-802-3-hssg-serialpmd@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3ae_Serial] From serial PMD call 19 Mar: measurement plan
for stressed sensitivity feasibility

The main output from this meeting was Stretch's updated email
http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/public/serial_adhoc/email/msg00592.ht
ml .

Stretch pointed out that attempting to do the same thing in different
laboratories (as opposed to a round-robin approach with common parts)
has
merit because we learn something about consistency.

Discussion of filter bandwidth for stressed eye generator.  Assume
filter
bandwidth is an electrical bandwidth and so is the 7.5 GHz standard
filter.
Can anyone confirm?
Petar's experience with different physical filters is that 5 GHz
electrical
is too much (too much ISI?) so how come Tom had 4 GHz?

We could use a common physical filter as input to both scope and error
detector - would have worse tolerance than the filter built into the
scope,
not sure about consistency.

Discussion of how to know if 1% of histogram is the right metric: sample
histograms would be interesting.  Concern about fat tailed distributions
-
let's see.

It is hoped that each company will be able to measure at least a couple
of
DUTs, e.g. from two different batches.

Draft 4.2 expected soon.

Present
-------
Piers Dawe		Agilent SPG
Peter Ohlen		Optillion
Petar Pepeljugoski	IBM
Stretch Camnitz	Agilent T&M
David Kabal		Picolight

Next phone meeting
Tuesday 26 March, at the usual time and coordinates:
	4:15 pm GMT = 17:15 CET = 11:15 am EST = 8:15 am PST
	+1(816)650-0631  Access code 39209

Piers