	Von:  piers_dawe@xxxxxxxxxxx [SMTP:piers_dawe@xxxxxxxxxxx]
	Gesendet:  Mittwoch, 17. April 2002 18:45
	An:  stds-802-3-hssg-serialpmd@xxxxxxxx
	Cc:  greg_lecheminant@xxxxxxxxxxx
	Betreff:  [802.3ae_Serial] From serial PMD call 17 Apr: need more
experimental evidence

	Participants to the call feel that the experimental verification of
some
	aspects is still insubstantial.  See for example Raj's comment
"Allow time
	for at least 3 companies to submit measured data confirming the test
	parameters and set up."  Many vendors have reported transceivers,
how come
	so little data?
	As I understand it the concern is whether parts will pass a test in
one lab
	and fail in another, as opposed to a concern that the parts won't
work or
	won't interoperate with another manufacturer's parts.

	The key items, serious first, are stressed eye implementation, TDP
	measurement, transversal filter implementation.  If these concerns
can be
	allayed by more experimental evidence, we have a good chance of a
clean
	balloting round on D4.3.  As the next meeting will be on 30 April
(or 29)
	(in the Bay area), we have this week and next week!

	Participants are asked to look at the experimental information they
have and
	see if sharing some of it will progress the standard and the market
without
	competitive disadvantage by revealing too much.  For transceiver
vendors,
	aspects of test technique could be revealed.  For more
product-related
	information, Greg LeCheminant again offers to provide a confidential
	"information broker" service for creating an anonymous combined
report.

	On stressed eye:  Tom reports that in theory, the filter in the
stressed eye
	generator may not create enough jitter, and the quantity of
interferer
	and/or sinusoidal jitter would need to be increased for a generator
with an
	ideal filter response.  Others report that in practice they have
more than
	enough jitter already and no action is needed.  How can we close
this
	disconnect between theory and reality?  Need a way of simulating
more
	realistic filters.
	Petar thinks ISI from filter and ISI from interferer are reasonably
	interchangeable within limits, as a stress-test.
	There is a small question of whether the jitter metric is from 1st
to 99th
	percentile, 0.5th to 99.5th percentile, or from mean to each side,
excluding
	1% or 0.5%.

	On transversal filter: the latest information from Picosecond Pulse
Labs may
	allay the concerns.

	No other new issues were raised.

	Present