[802.3ae_Serial] Review of 10 Gigabit Ethernet and EFM link models

Dear optics engineers,

Several of you have asked for a description of the 10 Gigabit Ethernet and EFM link models (which use the same equations).  I have listed the available references, most recently at http://www.ieee802.org/3/ae/public/oct01/dawe_1_1001.pdf and http://www.ieee802.org/3/efm/public/sep01/dawe_1_0901.pdf , but to understand all the detail has involved reading several presentations.

Now we have a twelve-page description in text format which may help those using the model in the EFM standards development.  For 10 Gigabit Ethernet, I'm pleased that the standard is now developed, but it's good to document how we got there.

To access this review, go to
http://www.semiconductor.agilent.com/cgi-bin/morpheus/promotions/promotionsDetail.jsp?.0&promoID=28163
and click on the link "ONIDS 2002: Review of the 10 Gigabit Ethernet Link Model".  As the reflector will probably split the URL above, you could go to http://www.semiconductor.agilent.com and search for " Link Model ".

As well as a description, the review contains detailed equations, a useful table of parameters/symbols used, and a list of twenty five references, some of which lead to further references if needed.

I'd like to thank our fellow members of 802.3ae, and 802.3z before that, who have contributed to, assisted, scrutinised and corrected this model.

If there are errors or omissions in the review, we would welcome feedback.

Piers