RE: What is ~10 Gb/s?

So, in your opinion the only data rate we need at the MAC interface is
9.584640 Gb/s (data rate). For transmit, the Sonet PHY would take in raw
ethernet data at this speed and spit out encoded data at 9.95328 Gb/s
(baud rate) and do the opposite for receive. Doing this would allow the
10 Gb/s ethernet MAC to be directly connected to the Sonet network. Is
this a correct summation?

To continue down this path, are there any other signals necessary to
support the direct connection, i.e. does the MAC have to be
started/stopped/etc.? Is there any kind of flow control between the
Sonet PHY and its upper layer clients? etc. etc. etc.

Would adopting the Sonet data rate allow us to use already developed
PHYs or would we still need to customize features, etc. for
autonegotiation, coding, etc.?

I'm trying to narrow down the issues to see if it really is simply a
matter of 9.584640 Gb/s vs. 10.000 Gb/s or if other issues come into
play.
Walter Thirion
Level One Communications
512-407-2110