Speed motion

Title: Speed motion

How does this sound for a motion for next week:

Move that the HSSG adopt as an objective:

        Research the relative merits of using 10.000 Gb/s and 9.58464 Gb/s data
rates at the MAC/PLS service interface and select one of these two data
rates as the basis for the standard.

Moved:          W. Thirion
Second:

I know it doesn't completely nail down which speed we will want to pursue. However, it does narrow the selection quite a bit to the two speeds which have generated the vast majority of the discussion.

Remember, this is the wording for an objective, not the final standard. After doing research and presentation of more papers, we may decide as a group that we'll want to pursue a totally different speed.

However, at this stage of the game, I think it is critical to narrow the selection down to a couple of palatable choices in order to bring focus to the research effort.

Feedback?

Walter Thirion
Level One Communications
512-407-2110