[802.3_10SPE] adhoc page updated - minutes posted - follow up items

Thank you all for a good discussion at today’s ad hoc.  I have updated the adhoc page with today’s draft minutes.

I would like to encourage continued discussion on the reflector, particularly on the remaining issues to firm up our objectives.  We should continue trying to build consensus around the remaining objectives.

It seemed we had some consensus around the length for the long reach segment and the number of connectors on it.

I’d like to urge some reflector dialog to follow up on the issues raised today – we need to converge across the broader group quickly, and talking early is going to be better.  It will also focus what needs a broader presentation.

We also had some good discussion on multi-drop power.  How the data is handled still requires work.  It seemed that there might be different requirements based on the application, so we have some broad consensus building to do here – best to move quickly on discussions in the broader group.

A couple of interesting ideas were floated today, particularly:

1.       The splitting of the BER objective based on reach.  We didn’t really discuss it.  Personally, I’m not sure that drives cost substantially, unless it’s a big savings in test time.

2.       Link diagnostics – I think some reflector discussion of what is desired might help us to scope this problem faster than putting together a full presentation.  We really just need to scope it to figure out whether it needs to be an objective.

George A. Zimmerman, Ph.D.

IEEE 802.3 10Mbps Single Pair Ethernet Study Group Chair

President & Principal Consultant

CME Consulting, Inc.

Experts in PHYsical Layer Communications

1-310-920-3860

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx