[802.3_10SPE] Objectives - things we seem to have consensus on

I’ve been preparing a presentation to close our objectives, and from the ad hoc discussion, we seem to have consensus on the following objectives. (another few email threads will discuss the ones we need to work).

Please reply whether you have issues with consensus on these, and with some explanation of the concern, or proposed alternative wording.  Please reference the number of the objective in your comment.  These are NOT intended to be all the objectives, just the ones that I have heard general consensus on in the ad hoc.  This way we can have a more efficient meeting in San Antonio.

(the adopted objectives are #1 through 8)

  1. Define the performance characteristics of a link segment and at least one PHY to support operation over this link segment with single twisted pair supporting up to four inline connectors using balanced cabling for at least 15 m reach.
  2. Define the performance characteristics of a link segment and a PHY to support point-to-point operation over this link segment with single twisted pair supporting up to 10 inline connectors using balanced cabling for at least 1 km reach
  3. Do not preclude working within an Intrinsically Safe device and system as defined in IEC 60079
  4. Do not preclude the ability to survive automotive and industrial fault conditions (e.g. shorts, over voltage, EMC, ISO16750).
  5. Support fast-startup operation using predetermined configurations which enables the time from power_on**=FALSE to a state capable of transmitting and receiving valid data to be less than 100ms.
  6. Support voltage and current levels for the automotive and industrial environments.

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

10 Mb/s Single Twisted Pair Ethernet Study Group

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

310-920-3860