Re: [802.3_10SPE] Objective - BER

I don't see a difference in the implications of #1 and #2. In either case, the first part reads as requiring 10^-10 when the link segment is 15 m or less. #1 doesn't mention anything about which PHY so it says that even a PHY that can drive 1 km should 10^-10 or better BER when running on a 15 m link segment (and perhaps that would be true).

If then intent is that PHYs under proposed objective 9 support 10^-10 BER and those under proposed objective 10 support 10^-9 BER regardless of where in their distance range they are used, then that would need a different wording.

An editorial nit: we put a space between the number and the unit because IEEE style requires it.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Geoff Thompson <thompson@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
George-

I don't know.  I see two interpretations.

Maintain a bit error ratio (BER) at the MAC/PLS service interface of less than or equal to 10^-10 on link segments up to at least 15m.
Maintain a bit error ratio (BER) at the MAC/PLS service interface of less than or equal to 10^-9 on all link segments up to at least 1km.
(which to my eyes would imply but not require two PHYs)

Maintain a bit error ratio (BER) at the MAC/PLS service interface of less than or equal to:
10^-10 on link segments up to at least 15m, and
10^-9 on all link segments greater than 15m up to at least 1km
(which to my eyes would imply a single PHY)

...but would be clearer wording.

Which is it?

Geoff

We have had some round-abouts on how to write the BER objective.  Ludwig had proposed a nice split, where the short-reach/automotive PHYs had a 10^-10 BER objective and the longer reach ones had a 10^-9 BER objective.  With that in mind, I propose the following objective for discussion:

Maintain a bit error ratio (BER) at the MAC/PLS service interface of less than or equal to:
10^-10 on link segments up to at least 15m, and
10^-9 on all link segments up to at least 1km

Do we have consensus?

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.
President & Principal
CME Consulting, Inc.