[802.3_1TPCE] Draft 100BASE-T1 PAR

Dear Study Group participants,

The IEEE 802.3 1 Twisted Pair 100 Mb/s Ethernet Study Group passed a motion last week that reads 'The items on "Draft PAR 100BASE-T1.doc" in Red to be entered into the online PAR system by the WG Chair with appropriate editorial discretion as needed to complete the submission.'. In respect to the response to item 6.1A and the need for copyright permission, the text in "Draft PAR 100BASE-T1.doc" reads 'The proposed standard is expected to be substantially based on material proposed by Broadcom Corporation. Copyright permission is in possession of the WG Chair.'.

I have two minor issues with this statement. First, the fact that a proposed standard is 'substantially based on material proposed by' individuals affiliated with a particular company is not an issue in respect to this particular PAR item, the issue is if it is based on material that has been previously published and is copyright of a particular company. In addition, I observe individuals with many affiliations proposing this approach. Second, the copyright permission I have received is in respect to the Study Group, in respect to the project should the PAR be approved, as I stated at the meeting, I have received assurance from the copyright holder they will provide the necessary copyright permission.

Based on the above I wanted to inform you that I will add words 'previously published' prior to 'material, change the word 'proposed' to read 'copyrighted', and add the words 'Assurance of' to the start of the second sentence. The full text of the response to item 2.1 will therefore read 'The proposed standard is expected to be substantially based on previously published material copyrighted by Broadcom Corporation. Assurance of copyright permission is in possession of the WG Chair.'.

As this text is not related to any technical matter, and references me as IEEE 802.3 Working Group Chair, I believe that these are non-substantive changes. Further, I wish to make these changes before submitting the draft PAR to the IEEE 802.3 Executive Committee and IEEE 802.3 Working Group for preview.

Best regards,
  David Law
  IEEE 802.3 Working Group Chair