[STDS-802-3-25G] Announcing 25Gb/s Study Group optical ad-hoc

I’d like to announce the formation of another Study-group ad-hoc specifically focused on optics.  I’m appointing Jonathan King as chair of this ad-hoc.

As with the Architecture ad-hoc, the purpose of this ad-hoc is to focus on supporting the study group in it’s goals of developing objectives, creating responses for the CSD (aka 5 Criteria) and PAR. As discussed during the plenary week presentations on the 25GE CFI, the strong consensus has been built around the server interconnect application and this is primarily driven by single-lane copper (cable/backplane) technologies.  Some interest was raised around optical technologies being part of this project.  Since this wasn’t scoped as part of the CFI, this study group ad-hoc is being established to provide the opportunity to build consensus around whether any optical objectives may be proposed  and whether the CSD may be met.

Jonathan King will be sending out meeting notices.

Regards…Mark