Ali Ghiasi
Ghiasi Quantum LLC
Office (408)352-5346

On Aug 28, 2014, at 8:45 AM, Mellitz, Richard <richard.mellitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Chris,
Going from 4 lanes to 1 lane mandates a changing FEC in some way.  The consequences of change FEC may change the channel budget allocation. We should leave those discussions to the WG.  To me, at least three meters allows the discussions to be relevant. With five meters  the choices are limited and debates mooted.  So I would support the objective with at least 3 meter for now. This does not abdicate 5 meters but in my opinion the debate should not happen until we go to WG.
… Rich

From: Christopher T. Diminico [mailto:00000025925d7602-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:21 AM
To: STDS-802-3-25G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-3-25G] Announcing 25Gb/s Ethernet Architecture Ad-hoc conference calls

Colleagues,

My ad hoc presentation(s) to date are primarily focused on supporting  the technical feasibility of (25G)  simply arguing that if 802.3bj 4x25G is technically feasible then so is 1x25G.
I've changed my presentation from  "reuse 802.3bj" to "consistent with";   the original language was not intended to preclude considering RS-FEC options in Task Force, just to exit Study Group demonstrating feasibility. I'm agreeing with others suggesting we are debating details better left for Task Force and not necessarily helping us exit Study Group.

I believe we already have consensus to consider RS-FEC options in Task Force.  Given that, we still need to reach consensus on the objectives. I suggest we move
to a straw poll during the ad hoc tomorrow on the reach/channel obective language candidates to help us close the debate.

First question we might consider is;
A>>objective for reach  (i.e., 802.3bj twin-axial with lengths up to at least 5m)
B>>objective for channel

Given the results of that question then choose from options under reach or channel (below) others are possible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
802.3 25G objective  -    options based on 802.3bj objective with reach
A>>Define a 1-lane 25 Gb/s PHY for operation over links consistent with copper twin-axial cables with lengths up to at least 5m.
comment>>>does not preclude 3m without FEC
B>>Define a 1-lane 25 Gb/s PHY for operation over links consistent with copper twin-axial cables with lengths up to at least 3m.
comment>>>does not preclude 5m with FEC
802.3 25G objective - options based on 802.3bj channel usage
 A>>Define a single-lane 25Gb/s PHY for operation over copper twin-axial cables consistent with channels (TP0-TP5) specified in IEEEStd802.3bj-2014 Clause92
B>>Define a single-lane 25Gb/s PHY for operation over copper twin-axial cables based on channels (TP0-TP5) specified in IEEEStd802.3bj-2014 Clause92
C>>Define a single-lane 25 Gb/s PHY for operation over copper twin-axial cables consistent with the overall channel budget specified in IEEE Std 802.3bj-2014 Clause 92

Regards, Chris