[STDS-802-3-25G] Thoughts from today's ad hoc

I want to say thanks to Jeff for listing some of the options the task force can consider for auto-negotiation. All the options presented by Jeff and Eric could be specified in the draft standard.

I'd like to provide some clarification on my opposition to using -L and -S options. The primary concern I have is reflected in statements some people have made in justifying the -L and -S options. In my humble opinion, the -L and -S options push the draft standard towards being an implementation specification and permitting folks to market their devices as either -L or -S compliant. This could create a potential bifurcation of the market; hence my request for those supporting a -L and -S option to provide information on the broad market potential.

As an example of auto-negotiation not used in as an implementation specification, let's look at 1G. There is a load of information that is exchanged during auto-negotiation. In 1000BASE-X, AN exchanges pause and duplex information. In 1000BASE-T, even more information is exchanged like master-slave, etc. What is important to understand in the operation of these devices, a management entity assists with the establishment of the link. If a 1000BASE-SX local device only indicates half duplex and its 1000BASE-SX link partner only indicates full duplex, then AN will signal to the management entity that the link cannot be established. The half duplex device is not labeled a 1000BASE-SX-H device and the other is not labeled a 1000BASE-SX-F device; those labels would be an implementation option. The management entity could decide that either these devices can never talk, or that auto-negotiation needs to be restarted with a different exchange of capabilities.

That's what worries me about using -L and -S in AN and tying it to the port type or maximum cable assembly length. That's an implementation. And honestly, -L and -S starts to sound like marketing terms and not technically justified terms. Permitting AN to exchange capabilities and preferred modes of operation (no -L or  -S option) really does provide the greatest flexibility for implementations in the market.

Thanks,
Brad