Re: [STDS-802-3-25G] Thoughts from today's ad hoc

Dan/Brad

Here is an approach to make -S and -L CR standards interoperable by creating super-set PMD but still address potential low latency applications:

o. Host
- Baseline capability RS-FEC
- Optionally host my implement and/or support CL74 or no FEC
- Mechanism to advertise what is supported under system management
- All host must support the maximum reach and both -S and -L cable reaches

o. Cables
- CR-S any cables shorter 2-3 m (with xyz loss) if plugged into host the management may invoke CL74 or no FEC
- CR-L any cable longer >2-3 m (with loss >xyz) if plugged into host will use the default RS-FEC

With above approach we are not creating two PMDs, single common host is created but cables are labeled -S and -L depending on the cable length.

Thanks,
Ali Ghiasi
Ghiasi Quantum LLC
Office (408)352-5346