From: David Lewis [mailto:David.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 10:38 AM
To: 802. 3 25GSMF
Cc: petejone@xxxxxxxxx; 田村公一 Kohichi Tamura; 'Anslow, Peter'; Law, David; 'Piers Dawe'; 'John DAmbrosia'
Subject: [802.3-25GSMF] "PMD" versus "PHY"

Colleagues,
There has been some discussion via email about the pros and cons of stating our objectives as either:

Provide PMD specification which support 25 Gb/s operation over at least 10 km on SMF.
Provide PMD specification which support 25 Gb/s operation over at least 40 km on SMF.

Or alternatively:

Provide Physical Layer specifications which support 25 Gb/s operation over at least 10 km of SMF.
Provide Physical Layer specifications which support 25 Gb/s operation over at least 40 km of SMF.

In order to ensure we have consensus before submitting the PAR, I would like to request a presentation or presentations arguing the case for one versus the other.

I have received a statement from Kohichi Tamura that for 40 km he does not see a need for a different FEC than the one already included in 802.3by.  Therefore the argument in favor of saying “Physical Layer” is that we will need to include changes to non-PMD clauses in order to implement any new PMDs.

Please let me know ASAP if someone is willing to make a presentation on this subject and I will add it to the agenda for Monday.

Regards,
David Lewis
Acting SG Chair