From: Brad Booth [mailto:bbooth@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:35 AM
To: STDS-802-3-400G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_400G] Breakout Functinoality Objective

Jonathan,

Thank you for the summation of my concern.

The selection of a PHY will be based on its ability to meet the objectives. For example, if there are two PHY/PMD proposals where #1 provides a significant cost and implementation benefit but #2 provides breakout capability, then this objective could be used to defeat #1 in favor of #2.

Maybe the question the study group needs to answer is: Is breakout a critical requirement for 400G that we wish to exclude proposals that do not support it?

Thanks,

Brad