From: Arash Farhood [mailto:arash_farhood@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:13 AM
To: STDS-802-3-400G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_400G] MPI presentation in 802.3bm standard

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your email. In our Q&A during Jiangwei presentation we both made a few technical mistakes when describing the problem (okay I made a lot of mistakes and you made a few :) ) and below I try to frame the question properly. Let me know if I missed anything.

The MPI path is defined to be a triple-reflection effect involving two reflecting points. This is defined in page 5 of

http://www.ieee802.org/3/bm/public/nov12/farhood_01_1112_optx.pdf .

Both BiDi and Full-Duplex channels suffer from MPI in the same way and the upper bound calculations in farhood_01_1112_optx applies to both.

HOWEVER, the BiDi is also creating the Echo problem in addition to MPI. This is because the fiber is light up on both ends and it is very possible that the transmit signal is reflected back to your own receiver through SINGLE REFLECTION (as opposed to triple reflection). I am going to call this single-reflection impairment Echo not to be confused with MPI. So

1- The MPI analysis in farhood_01_1112_optx only covers MPI and not Echo.

2- Similar upper bound analysis could be carried out for the Echo channel. However, I would imagine upper bounding the echo and leaving all of it uncancelled would be a huge problem since only a single reflection point is involved and the echo interference is much stronger than MPI.

3- I could not find any echo cancellation circuitry in Jiangwei presentation. I do understand that *Circulators* have good isolation capability and the very first *echo tap* is probably addressed here. I am not sure how the other longer echo taps are addressed. This is when the signal goes out of the TX, hits a single connector and reflects back into the near-end receiver.

4- I am not sure how widely the term *echo* is used by the optical folks but it is important to not mix this up with MPI.

5- I agree with you that if this *Echo* is not addressed correctly, then BiDi proposal is incomplete. For reference Jiangwei presentation is here and page 5 shows the setup.
http://www.ieee802.org/3/bs/public/14_05/man_3bs_01_0514.pdf

Arash