Re: [STDS-802-3-400G] My competing 2-km proposals

Brad,

Nothing I write is attempting to preclude data-center solution optimization and volume leverage over data-center reaches. Indeed, the 2-km reach has more than one market to be adopted, and that brings us to the problem of its solution selection.

Jeff

From: Brad Booth [mailto:bbooth@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 9:56 AM
To: STDS-802-3-400G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-3-400G] My competing 2-km proposals

Actually, I prefer the 4x100G lambda solution for 2 kms. If one assumes the 8x50G lambda solution is the preferred proposal for the 10 km reach, I can understand the logic applied to see the 2 km reach version as a reach optimized solution for that market space.

But, if I look at the 2 km reach as it's own market where the maximum reach is 2 km on a duplex fiber, then it seems to me that this technology should more closely resemble the 500 m reach solution. If a 4x100G PSM4 solution is the preferred proposal in that space, converting that solution from PSM4 to WDM would be preferred. While there is added complexity to convert a PSM4 solution to a WDM solution, I believe that the industry would be able to capitalize on the 500 m reach volume to help drive down the cost of the 2 km WDM version.

One of the other reasons I favor having a 4x100G lambda solution for 2 km is that the task force easily means the distinct identity requirement for each reach solution. The 500 m, the 2 km and the 10 km are all unique and distinct.

Thanks,
Brad