Re: [STDS-802-3-400G] New 50G/100G/200G SG - Potential Impact on 802.3bs?

Hello,

Currently IEEE 400Ge has done great job continuing from 100Ge. There huge markets awaiting, and IEEE 400Ge now is great enabler to encourage synergy throughout industries.

For all digital logic, the design is scalable and well defined. FEC is hard to scale but since overhead is still very minor on KR4/KP4. I suggest followings.
1. Make FEC more flexible, scalable and design friendly. For example, scalable frame using new FEC Alignment-Marker, this simplifies the FEC frame for various FEC capability. This enables future expansion beyond KP4/KP4 easily and eases the future adoption.
2. FEC channels interleaving help coding gain a lot. There's should be a way, we can define the interleaving scheme gracefully for different size of lanes, 16,8 and so on. If this is done, then multiple lane Chip-to-Chip can adopt easily. Interlaken's variable lanes with variable speed can be replaced easily. Chip-2-Chip traffic is normal 20% larger than 400Ge (or 100Ge).

ITUT G.709 defines FEC with very regular frame. If we achieve above, then the market can be expanded much bigger. Future expansion can be done smoothly. The link budget across fiber, IC, module, laser, TIA is great achievement. I wish more scalable can be in mind for new standards.

Sincerely,
  Mark