[STDS-802-3-400G] IEEE 802.3bs Friday Meeting

All,

I am happy to announce that, per our agreed schedule, we have reached technical completeness on the 400GbE portion of the IEEE P802.3bs draft and the Task Force adopted all technical proposals related to 200GbE.

Motions and straw polls from this week’s meeting may be found at http://www.ieee802.org/3/bs/public/16_05/motions_3bs_0516.pdf.

Regarding the matter of nomenclature raised by individuals on the reflector since last night, the Task Force discussed the matter this morning.  A strawpoll and motion were considered –

Straw poll #3

       A consistent nomenclature (e.g. CCMII / CDMII or 200GMII / 400GMII, CCAUI / CDAUI or 200GAUI / 400GAUI, etc) should be selected for implementation in IEEE P802.3bs.

       Yes – 55

       No –  1

       Abstain – 0

Motion #4

       Move:

       Use existing roman numeral based nomenclature (i.e. CC or CD) for generation of Draft 1.4

       Pre-submit Draft 1.5, with nomenclature based on Roman numbers, for consideration to proceed to WG Ballot

       Direct editorial team to create two “candidate” versions of Draft 2.0,  one version with nomenclature based on Roman numbers and one version based on Arabic numbers.

       Discuss nomenclature @ July 2016 IEEE 802 Plenary and resolve which “candidate” version (nomenclature is based on Roman or Arabic numbers), and present the selected version for consideration to proceed to go to WG Ballot

       Moved by –  Pete Anslow

       Second by –  Steve Trowbridge

       Procedural (>50%)

       Results –

       y  53

       n: 0

       abstain: 0

Pete Anslow agreed to generate a proposal for the Arabic-based nomenclature definition, for the Task Force to consider.  A Task Force ad hoc meeting to be held prior to the June Interim to discuss the proposal.  Date is TBD, but will be announced next week.

Congratulations to everyone – and my thanks to Pete and the editorial team for a job well done!

Regards,

John D’Ambrosia

Chair, IEEE P802.3bs 200GbE and 400GbE Task Force