Re: [STDS-802-3-400G] P802.3bs SMF Ad Hoc

Hi, Peter,

I was thinking about the application of Reed-Solomon FEC on L2 of the RM OSI instead of CRC function.

On the data link layer, CRC is used for errors detection. If we use Reed-Solomon systematic FEC instead, we can correct the errors that occure during the transmission through the channel, not just detect as CRC did. I have chosen systematic FEC because is keeps the encoded information unchanged and only adds redundancy symbols to it at the end of the L2 PDU. So the CRC field can be overwritten by redundancy bits of the Reed-Solomon FEC.

If we imagine, that there is a possibility to correct the transmission errors, we will get less retransmissions as a result and we can think of increasing the transmission distance or transmission speed by sending more data at the same period of time 1/T. The probability of errors will increase, but appropriate settings of Reed-Solomon FEC can correct it.

Please let me know if interresting.

Ing. Tomas Pajda.

Hi,

The draft minutes from yesterday’s SMF Ad Hoc call are on the P802.3bs SMF Ad Hoc web page.

As previously announced, the next SMF Ad Hoc call is scheduled for Tuesday 30 August from 8:00 to 10:00 PDT (meeting details attached).  If you are interested in presenting, please request a timeslot by Noon PDT on Monday 29 August.

Peter Anslow from Ciena has invited you to join a meeting on the Web, using WebEx. Please join the meeting 5-10 minutes early so we may begin on time.

Topic: "P802.3bs SMF Ad Hoc"

Date & Time: Tuesday, 30 August 2016 at 16:00, GMT Summer Time (London, GMT+01:00)

To join web meeting click here: https://ciena.webex.com/ciena/j.php?MTID=m75f391ea47da98b5f9c40e73c6035d3d

Meeting password: IEEE (please note passwords are case sensitive)

Teleconference: Provide your phone number when you join the meeting to receive a call back. Alternatively, you can call:

+44-203-4333547  (United Kingdom)

4438636577  (United States)

2064450056  (Canada)

4006920013  (China)
Show global numbers: https://www.tcconline.com/offSite/OffSiteController.jpf?cc=2070125535
Conference Code: 207 012 5535

Meeting number: 631 810 369

Additional Notes:

- To add this meeting to your calendar program click the following link, or copy the link and paste it into your Web browser: https://ciena.webex.com/ciena/j.php?MTID=mbe796abbfa91ca811dd849c7d0f1156f

https://ciena.webex.com

Regards,

Pete Anslow | Senior Standards Advisor
43-51 Worship Street | London, EC2A 2DX, UK
Direct +44 2070 125535