From: Jeff Heath [mailto:jheath@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 5:48 PM
To: Christian BEIA; STDS-802-3-4PPOE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.3_4PPOE] End to End Channel Pair to Pair Unbalance Ad Hoc Presentation

Hi Christian,

I do agree that the circuits we are using are very similar and so at the end we should get the same results with the same parameters.

The load current in my simulation is indeed swept from low to high for each of the simulation parameter sets shown in my presentation.  The negative or ‘reverse’ currents currents would appear between pairs one and three and two and four.  The current is flowing in the opposite direction one expects the current to flow.  I have run the simulation with a constant power at the PD PI as opposed to constant power at the current load, and just sweeping the current and using spice to calculate the power at the PD PI.

We have been taking a look at the diode.  As the dominate term for any reasonable short channel case it is indeed worth putting in the effort to refine it.  This is especially true when we add in the diodes for AC Disconnect on the PSE side.  It will increase by 50% the current imbalance due to the diode mismatch (to first order).

We have several goals with the simulation, one is to independently verify/validate the maximum current per pair vs. power load (find the worst case conditions for each power level).  To do this we need a PSE and PI model to check with and we have come up with a model and calculated the resistor and voltages for the Thevenin circuits for the PSE and the PD, and the very not linear channel.

It would be useful to sit down with you to go over these issues.  When do you arrive in San Diego?

Regards,

Jeff Heath
Design Center Manager

paper: