Re: [802.3_4PPOE] PD Load turn on

It seems that the discussion of this has gone away from the initial contribution, and may have generated an unintended consequence, largely because “PD turn on” is a loosely defined concept.

If I take the concept from Kousi’s contribution – that is that the PD load is drawing at its full capacity the language that is being proposed now would REQUIRE a PD to activate its load anytime the voltage at the PI is greater than Voff. (the current language doesn’t have this problem only because it is broken in the first place).   That would put standard compliance in conflict with any power saving mode which put the PD (load) circuitry into a low power quiescent (arguably not turned on) state.

The original suggestion in Kousi’s contribution didn’t have this issue because it set the recommendation in the negative, and it was not a hard requirement – “the PD should not turn on, …”  I liked this concept because it was a recommendation, and things related to what the PD does behind the PI are out of scope for the standard, so they should be recommendations – not requirements.

However, I don’t see how that will work in this section 33.3.7, which reads:

The PD shall turn on at a voltage less than or equal to VOn. After the PD turns on, the PD shall stay on over the entire VPort_PD range. The PD shall turn off at a voltage less than VPort_PD minimum and greater than or equal to VOff.”

It may seem a little silly, but maybe to fix this we can use some more precise and descriptive language than, “the PD shall turn on”?  - any thoughts on just what we mean here in terms of behavior AT THE PI?  Surely a PD that is in a standby mode waiting for the user or other sensor to ‘turn it on’ still meets this criterion, and should not fully turn on simply because the power supply is ready.

I’m throwing this out there because I don’t yet have succinct definition of what we mean –  “shall be capable of providing full current to its load’? “shall provide a stable voltage at its output?”

Any thoughts?

George Zimmerman

Principal, CME Consulting

Experts in Advanced PHYsical Communications Technology

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

310-920-3860

(PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS.  THE OTHER WILL STILL WORK, BUT PLEASE USE THIS FOR CME BUSINESS)