Re: [802.3_4PPOE] PD Load turn on

Hi all--
  I am not someone familiar with most of the details of PoE, but I do have a keen interest in
terminology about power states, particularly of devices.
  I am sure all of you are clear on the meaning here, but an outside reader might well
mis-interpret things.  In particular, when a PD is said to turn On or Off, then it is
easy to think of this as the Device itself turning on or off.  In this case of course, it is
just the power flow on the link, or the PD's part of that, that may change state.
A complete powered device may have an internal battery or access to other external
power sources than the PoE link in question, so may draw no power off the PoE
link but still be very much on.  In addition, a full device might well be in its own
Off state but drawing lots of power on the PoE link.
  In retrospect I think different terminology than PSE and PD might have been
better, but since we have those terms, I think it would be helpful to have a short
description of this issue around to give to people; I would be happy to help craft
such a thing, with others.
  I do think that a subtle shift in language could be done in the 802.3 context and
beyond, to speak more about the state of the link, or the PSE interface and PD interface,
rather than just PSE and PD.  And, when power becomes bidirectional, other terminology
shift may be needed.
  Thanks,
--Bruce