From:        Fred Dawson <fred.c.dawson@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        STDS-802-3-4PPOE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Date:        08/26/2015 11:31 AM
Subject:        Re: [802.3_4PPOE] SPI Public Input

Hi Val,

I understand your concerns regarding the focus on "PoE" in the substantiation given by Code Making Panel 16 (CMP 16). This concern was also expressed at the IEEE meeting in Hawaii.

Fortunately the substantiation does not become part of the NEC. What does become part of the NEC (unless changed during the comment process) is the language in the box, and it makes no reference to PoE.

It was never our (SPI's) intent to single out IEEE PoE when submitting SPI's PI's to NFPA. It was used as an example because it is by far the best known remote powering method.

Based on the concerns expressed in Hawaii we (SPI) have drafted a number of comments specifically to remove the term PoE in most, if not all places where it is referenced in the First Draft text. I encourage others to do the same so that this concern is addressed.

Fred