|Thread Links||Date Links|
|Thread Prev||Thread Next||Thread Index||Date Prev||Date Next||Date Index|
Dear colleagues, Benvenuti! Welcome to Catania! Tomorrow .bt will meet in Verga room, on the 3rd floor, lobby level. The breakfast will be served from 7am on the same floor. Your badges are at the front desk, you can collect them at any time. Best regards Ciao Christian Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos. 06/Ott/2015 15:38:00, Christian BEIA <christian.beia@xxxxxx> ha scritto:
here are some tips about the venue of the forthcoming .bu and .bt interim meeting, Catania.
TAXI: There is a €33 ST corporate rate from the Airport to the Baia Verde Hotel. Tipping is not mandatory but 10% is customary. Major credit cards are accepted (Visa, MasterCard, Amex).
To reserve the taxi, please call +39 095 330 966 before departing or when you land in Catania. The Taxi kiosk is at departure level, 1st floor.
When you call, please specify you want to pay with CC and use the ST corporate rate. If you call in advance you can also tell them your flight number and they will pick you up at the exit.
DINING: there are several options including the hotel restaurant; most of them are at 10—15 minutes walking from the hotel. They usually accept credit cards in the restaurants but maybe not at the bars and small shops, especially if you spend less than 10 euros, so some cash in Euros is recommended.
ATM: At the airport there are several ATMs - called Bancomat - (otherwise they are located next to the bank agencies) where you can withdraw money at your bank rate. Money Change kiosks are usually more expensive.
TIPPING: Tipping at the restaurants is optional. Service is usually included, so you may choose tip if you really feel you had great service, great food or both J
DRIVING: If you decide to rent a car, please consider that manual transmission is customary in Italy. If you want an automatic transmission I recommend to reserve your car in advance and specify that. Traffic in Catania can be very heavy in the commuting hours. Please also consider that some drivers are undisciplined, so please look out! J
Neighborhoods: The city of Catania and Eastern Sicily are really beautiful and the weather should be nice next week ( in the range of 20 - 25 C)
- Catania: the baroque historical center of the city offers a variety of places to visit: the Duomo square, with the S.Agata church and the city building surrounding the obelisk with the symbols of the city. Via Etnea is the main street with palaces, gardens and ancient ruins. The medieval underground city, dug in the lava rocks, the Ursino Castle, built in the 13th century by Emperor Frederic II, and the Greek theater, 2000 years old, are just some of the many attractions of the city.
- Etna: Largest living Volcano in Europe. Several guided tours are available to visit the mountain. Please consider that the temperature at the top (>3000m) is likely around zero Celsius, so warm clothes are needed. I’m also going to hike on Mt.Etna on Saturday. Please tell me if you are interested, I will give you more details.
- Taormina: the old town is 250m above the sea, the view of the coast from there is amazing. You must visit the ancient greek theatre and the baroque churches, then you may pass by Isola Bella, a beautiful island just below Taormina, then move to Giardini Naxos which is the seaside resort village.
- Siracusa – Visit the unique old town of Ortigia, the Baroque Duomo, then the archeological site where you can find a Greek theter and a roman Amphitheatre
- Ragusa, Modica, other beautiful baroque cities, or as other options: Noto, whith a beautiful Cathedral Avola, Marzamemi nearer to the sea. Marzamemi has beautiful beaches as in the Caribbean. You can still go swimming in the sea!
I hope this information will be helpful. If you have any other question, please ask me.
I’m looking forward to meet you all in Catania – have a safe flight!
I signed up for the interim, and contacted the hotel on Aug 3, 2015. (you were CC’ed on my sign up email to Chad, as requested. Can you confirm receipt?)
>> Cab cost is approximately €40. A €33 flat rate is available using Radio Taxi and asking for the STMicroelectronics corporate rate.
Will Radio Taxi take credit cards, or will I need to have cash? What is your advice for tipping?
Similar question for dining out during the week – my wife will be travelling with me, and I am trying to figure out how many Euro’s to purchase.
We are staying for an extra day, flying out on Sunday morning. Do you have any recommendations for sightseeing on Saturday?
Sifos Technologies, Inc.
1061 East Street, Tewksbury, MA 01876
+1 (978) 640-4900 x118
The Baia Verde Hotel informed me that a few rooms are still available for the meeting dates, but they are selling out fast.
Anyone planning to attend the meeting please book today, sending an email at baiaverde@xxxxxxxxxxxx indicating "REF.3505 STMICROELECTRONICS - IEEE MEETING" and providing credit card details.
Please notice that this is the only way to take advantage of the discounted rate. Reservations made using booking websites will follow the price agreed online.
As a reminder, the meeting registration deadline is also today. Visit http://www.ieee802.org/3/interims/catania_1_1015.html for information.