From: Chad Jones <cmjones@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, October 16, 2015 at 4:46 AM
To: 4PPOE Reflector <STDS-802-3-4PPOE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [802.3_4PPOE] missed discussion before closing

If you recall back to comment resolution on Tuesday, Dave floated the idea of holding at least a 1/2 day adhoc in Dallas to work on the State Machine. To do this, we need to limit the comments or presentations (or both) to something that will fit in 1.5 – 2 days. That is around 150 non-EZ comments and 8 presentations, based on our past meetings. Dave asked for you to think about how to limit ourselves and that we would discuss it.

I would like to have that discussion here, since we forgot to do it in the closing business.

One way is to insist that there are no presentations that are not addressing baseline, a remedy to a comment or something assigned to a ‘champion’ as a progress blocking topic during the closing business yesterday. Another way is to withhold comments that you know are controversial in nature where you haven’t yet completed the work to drive consensus. My last remark wold be the thing that Dave emphasized all during comment resolution. Ensure you have made a ‘good’ comment. Copy the text to which the comment refers, make extra effort to provide a concise solution.  If you can’t, save that comment for D1.5.

Anyone else have thoughts on how to minimize the comment resolution portion of Dallas to give dedicated face-to-face time for work on the State Machines?

Chad Jones
MGR, HW ENG, Cisco Systems
Chair, IEEE P802.3bt 4PPoE Task Force