Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Backfeed ad hoc - 3P detection

Hi Yair,

There is no typical leakage for a schottky diode.

It depends and the technology and a trade-off between forward voltage drop and leakage/reverse current.

In general you can state that the logarithm of the reverse current is proportional the reverse voltage over some wider voltage range for a power rectifier.

That would then correspond to a formula: Ir = Io*exp(c*Vr) with parameters Io and c depending on the power rectifier being used.

At a higher voltage the leakage current will be higher and the dynamic resistance will be lower.

Leakage current already starts to increase from relatively low reverse voltages and keeps on increase up to the rated voltage.

You cannot assume leakage current will remain ‘low’ by taking a higher voltage rated part.

The characteristics of a power rectifier are extremely dependent on temperature.

At a higher temperature the leakage current will be much higher and the dynamic resistance will be much lower.

Best Regards,

Joris Lemahieu

Application Engineer

ON Semiconductor