Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Backfeed presentation + baseline

Heath, your review includes this statement: Moving the PD requirement to the PSE is onerous and moves requirements from the out-of-spec PD to the compliant PSE.

I disagree with this statement. This is not an out of spec PD. The PD 100% complies to the backfeed spec as written in Clause 33. We carried forward that requirement simply because we copied 33. As I’ve said repeatedly, the backfeed requirement is a true 2P requirement. When you apply 3P power, you are not performing this test and the requirement no longer applies. The real first question we should have asked is does a true 2P test belong in a 4P standard.

This is no longer simply a ‘FET bridge’ problem. It’s been reported on this reflector that schottky diodes also fail the misapplied 3P backfeed test. The PD is only “misbehaving” because the PSE is improperly applying 3P power. If you want to outlaw this behavior, then you are mandating silicon diodes. This standard fails if that is a requirement.

This is a PSE misbehavior that we decided to make compliant. The PSE holds the burden to fix.

Chad Jones

Tech Lead, Cisco Systems

Chair, IEEE P802.3bt 4PPoE Task Force

Principal, NFPA 70 CMP3