Re: [802.3_4PPOE] MPS issue due to the allowance for reflected voltage in 3-pair mode

Hi Lennart,

I agree that it doesnt affect the case when the PD is disconnected from the cable.

I was referring to the case that the PD is connected and wants power removal. The question if it is rare or not, is irrelevant since it is already in the spec and we need to address it somehow and meet it.

I agree that the solution can be that PDs that do want to have power removed can set their Iport_mps value for power removal to be lower than (4mA-1.3mA)=2.7mA. However, in order to make this clear to the PD vendor (since Irev is in the PSE section) I believe that we need to add text to the PD MPS section as follows (or equivalent):

Proposed remedy:

Add the following text in clause 145.3.9, page 222 text after line 49:

"When a PD is operating under 3-pair mode conditions, the value of IPort_MPS as seen by the PSE over the powered pair may increase by Irev (see See 145.2.10.4, 145.3.8.8 ). As a result, the PD may need to set IPort_MPS to alower value than IPort_MPS min to ensure power removal."

Yair