From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:18 AM
To: STDS-802-3-DMLT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_DMLT] [IEEE 802.3 SG DMLT] Result of the York meeting

Dear Ludwig,

Having had more time to examine the latest changes to the objectives, as well as the EPON-specific contribution, I would like to clarify my support for this proposal. What I support is the IET function for P2P PHYs up to 10 Gbps. I do not think the arguments on Monday about support for 40, 100 and higher speed PHYs hold much water. I also do not think we should go with a wide brush and simply change all PHYs just because we can.

Regarding the P2MP links. The EPON presentation given on Monday clearly demonstrates the hypothetical need for frame fragmentation (specifically, in EPON), but it fails to demonstrate how that ties with IET. Also, the topic of 1G-EPON was not even touched, even though it has a different FEC-type (frame based versus stream based), where each frame has to be accompanied by its own parity.

To move this effort forward, I would suggest we narrow down the objectives to P2P PHYs only, operating at the speeds up to 10 Gbps.

The need for IET in P2MP systems (EPON and EPoC) needs to be studied further within the Task Force (if and once established) and if within the TF we later on come to conclusion that it is technically feasible, justified, and needed, we can always add a new objective. Adding objectives is never a problem, once it is properly justified to the WG membership. The same holds true for 40G+ PHYs.

Regards

Marek